You are eager to test the preview of macOS Big Sur, the new desktop operating system targato Apple? Well, Apple has finally opened the beta also testers, the public, and in this guide we will show you how to install the public beta of macOS Big Sur on your Mac.
Before You Begin
Before proceeding with the installation of macOS Big Sur, we suggest you make a backup of all your data by following the official guide from Apple. Then check that your Mac is among those compatible with the new release; click here for a complete list of those compatible.
A times performed these simple operations, we can proceed with the actual installation. It is recommended of course, follow all the steps shown in succession in order to complete the procedure correctly:
- Go to the official page beta.apple.com
- Click on the button Sign In in the upper right corner and log in by entering the credentials of your Apple ID.
- Click on Enroll your Device from the menu at the top.
- Select macOS in the horizontal menu.
- Scroll now below and click the button to Download the macOS Public Beta Access Utility
- Once you have downloaded the file macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.dmg go to the download folder and double click on it. Inside the image file you will find the package macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.pkg file that you install by following the wizard.
Once you have completed this procedure you can finally start the upgrade to macOS Big Sur, that will take obviously some time before being brought to an end. To start the upgrade, choose one of the following options, depending on the operating system currently installed on your Mac
- macOS Catalina and Mojave: once you have completed the registration, go to the System Preferences and click Software Update. You will see from here the public beta of macOS. Click Update Now to get the new beta.
- macOS High Sierra or earlier: once the registration is complete, launch the Mac App Store and the updates section download the beta version and then install it by following the simple wizard.